Doosan GridTech™ modeling depicts how a planned solar resource will impact a distribution circuit and solves for the best ESS size/algorithms to maintain power quality.
In our analysis and field work, we operate both locally to each distributed resource and on the bulk power system – good design needs to understand both. We know a lot about batteries, and, thanks to the MESA standard, we are free to recommend the best battery for a specific scenario.
In the role of Owner’s Engineer, we work closely with the utility customer to shape each modeling and design project to respond to their specific goals and circumstances. Example types of studies include, but are not limited to:
- Distribution Circuit Study – Analysis, design and business case to maximize local distribution storage benefits.
- Bulk Power Study – Analysis, design and business case for how storage and other distributed resources can benefit bulk power system operations.
- Peaker Alternative Study – Modeling and control system design to enable a storage fleet to replace/defer a peaker.
- Microgrid Study – Modeling and design that blends grid-connected benefits with islanding capability in a utility-integrated microgrid.
A typical Doosan GridTech Conceptual Design Report for a distribution-based ESS circuit study may include:
- Key project objectives to support the utility’s overall understanding of energy storage and other DER.
- Technical analysis of the relevant circuit(s) using historical and projected utility data.
- Evaluation and selection of key modes of operation (algorithms) that meet project objectives.
- Analysis and recommendation for the best battery chemistry and ESS power and energy capacities.
- Analysis and recommendation for the best location and connection configuration for the distributed resource(s).
- Conceptual ESS design, including physical layout, electrical design, and communications options.
- Project plan, including recommended procurement strategy as well as a project budget, work breakdown structure and schedule.
- Proposal for Doosan GridTech to provide follow-on detailed procurement, engineering, installation, and commissioning services as requested by the customer.
If you work for an electric utility and would like to discuss our Conceptual Design Report process and view a sample report, please email us.